Thriving After Prison

 


Kimona Ward at 34 is living proof that a criminal record does not have to stigmatise you for life. Her inspirational success after doing time for drug dealing is a true story of redemption.

 

Born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica, Kimona grew up independent and resilient.

 

She had to be strong. Abandoned by her parents as a baby at the tender age of one, she was left in the care of her kind-hearted grandmother in a sprawling house filled with aunts and uncles, her stepfather, two older brothers and an abundance of boisterous cousins.

 

Little Kim cultivated a tough protective layer and insulated her vulnerability when pinned down and punched, kicked and bitten by the other kids or when an uncle flew into a hateful rage and beat her.

 

She recalls: “Another uncle verbally abused me, saying I wouldn't turn out to be anything because my parents left me. But I didn't let his taunts sink in. I’ve always been headstrong and mature beyond my years. I never let anyone’s negativity affect me.

 

“But I always felt alone and different from my family. I didn't relate to them. I saw life differently,” says Kimona, now happily living in the historic English village of East Grinstead, in rural West Sussex. 

 

The ambitious young businesswoman runs her own successful delivery service, manages charity projects and volunteers as a First Aider with St John’s Ambulance.

 

Back in Jamaica, bright little Kim adored school with a fierce passion for learning. She excelled academically and at sport. Her secret dreams of a better life were at odds with the bustling neighbourhood of Rockfort, famous for gang violence, desperate poverty and soothing reggae music. 

 

“As a child I was surrounded by street violence but smart enough to steer clear of gangs. We were poor. I remember going to school without any lunch money and getting through the day hungry. But I learned to be happy with what I had and didn't worry about what I didn't have.”

 

And what she had, and cherished, was the shining light of her grandmother.

 

“Grandma taught me a lot of good morals. She was very caring and would share what little she had. She never turned away anyone needing food or help.”

Her grandmother died when Kimona was 13. Rather than be consumed with sadness, she embraced a fearless faith, comforted by fond memories and inner guidance. 

 

Just as the determined teenager was thriving as a Corporal in the Cadets and building her strength and skills in sports, her life took a sudden turn.

 

The Streets of London

 

At 15 she arrived in East London, wide-eyed and shell-shocked, uprooted from Jamaica to live with an aunt, her husband and two cousins. Kimona seized the opportunity to study computer science at college while doing a cleaning job at night.

 

But two years later she was sent to live with another relative who kicked her out. 

 

“At first I lived with a boyfriend. Rent, food and bus fares were cheap then. But when I left my boyfriend I fell on hard times. I found myself homeless and sleeping rough.

 

“Men would help me and give me a bed for the night. Some were being kind and let me sleep on the couch but others wanted sex. I would sleep for a few hours and sneak out in the middle of the night. It was dangerous. I’m lucky to have survived.

 

“I heard of a way to make quick money, which was selling drugs on the street; Class A drugs, heroin and crack cocaine. So I started doing that.

 

“Prior to being homeless I would never have thought of selling drugs. It was never a route I wanted to go down. But being homeless with nowhere to go and no one to help me, I felt real desperation.

 

“I could either start stealing, selling my body, begging or sell drugs. These were my only options. My visa was up for renewal so I couldn't get a job. I wasn’t gonna beg or steal or sell my body.

 

“My ‘link’ would take orders by phone and I would deliver the drugs. I found myself in Scotland. Two gang members broke into my flat to steal my stash. 

 

“I hid in a cupboard. One of the guys opened the cupboard and shone the light at me and closed the door. He told the other guy he didn't see me. I could have been killed. For some reason he didn't see me or pretended not to see me. Something intervened that day and I had a miraculous escape.”

 

Kimona returned to London in a state of despair. “I felt like I was losing my mind, like I was in a straight jacket, trying to break free. I felt so frightened and trapped.

“Although I was selling drugs, I was not doing drugs myself. I have never taken drugs or smoked. I was emotionally overwhelmed and traumatised.”

 

A Natural Entrepreneur

 

She pulled herself up by her bootstraps and found another link, this time in affluent Oxford.

 

“I’d never been to Oxford before and discovered the university! So I enrolled myself using the money from selling drugs and I could afford to rent an apartment.

 

“I started getting back on my feet. I was 24 and studying computer science. I learned to drive. And renewed my visa. And I was sending money back to Jamaica for my family.”

 

A natural entrepreneur, Kim soon realised she could build her own phone line and take orders direct and quickly started making £1000 a day. 

 

In 2010, she was flourishing in her final year of a three-year Degree course when she was arrested for drug dealing.

 

The Positive Side of Prison

 

“From the police station, they never released me. I went straight to Remand wearing a prison uniform. I lost everything, all my personal belongings, my money, my studies, my home. I was terrified of being deported.” 

 

But Kimona wasn't sent back to Jamaica. She ended up in Bronzefield Women’s Prison in Ashford, near Surrey sentenced to three years.

 

In another stroke of luck, she was assigned a top barrister to support her.

 

“My barrister was amazing. She believed in me and encouraged me. She visited me and took my calls. It was a comfort to know I had someone on my side. She told me I was going to come out and do great things.”

 

And then two other kind-hearted women helped in her rehabilitation through a counselling course for prisoners. With her passion for learning Kimona soaked up the psychology studies and opened up in group therapy and intensive counselling sessions.

 

“I learned about grief and loss and what happens when a child is separated from a parent at a young age. I unleashed a flood of tears, all the grief bottled up since I was a child. 

 

“Up until then I couldn't talk about my parents. It was a No-Go Zone but after the therapy I could talk about my inner pain.”

 

She also discovered qualities within herself. “My counsellor told me I was ‘empathetic’. I never knew what that meant before but she explained I had an ability to understand and feel for another person’s suffering. She told me that empathy is the ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes, to see what they see and go through what they go through.

 

“The penny dropped. She was the first person to tell me I had this gift. During the counselling course we worked in pairs, listening to each other. 

So I learnt listening skills using empathy and understanding.” 

 

Kim also did business workshops and was encouraged by the trainer, who recognised her entrepreneurial flair. 

 

At 26, she was released on probation after 18 months of her sentence. Living in tranquil Surrey, a caring probation officer became a mentor offering the guidance she needed to integrate back into normal life.  

 

“She didn't see me as a criminal. She saw me as an ‘ex-offender’ I knew in my heart I would never re-offend. My Risk Assessment showed that my risk of re-offending was very low.”

 

On reflection, she says: “I don’t regret going to prison. It wasn’t a bad thing for me. Yes, I know drug dealing was wrong. But I was in a desperate position at that time and believed I had no choice. If I became desperate now I wouldn't go back down that road. I have more choices at this stage of life and a lot more to lose.

 

“And good things came out of my time in prison. I got counselling and healing. I focused on the positive opportunities even though incarceration was tough. There were prisoners who took their own lives.

 

“But I’m an optimist. You can stand on an ants’ nest and still see the beautiful view. I knew being in prison wasn't permanent for me. I knew I would never come back. I had way too much potential to waste it.

 

“And I was blessed to have a few kind people see something good in me and give me hope.” 

  

Passion for Business and Charity 

 

The same day she came off probation in 2013, Kimona was granted UK residency. She seized her second chance and moved to her own little home in East Grinstead where she started a cleaning service. 

 

 

The cleaning service thrived for three years and then she bought an old van and started a delivery business. Today her delivery service has expanded to become Ward Logistics UK doing home moves and commercial jobs with her impressive new van. 

 

Hard-working and capable, Kimona does early morning deliveries of bread and newspapers starting at 3 am when most of us are tucked up warm in bed.  

 

She loves the independence and freedom of being self-employed and is a highly skilled driver with a Heavy Vehicle Licence. 

 

The flexible hours also give her time to be involved with the local community, volunteering as a First Aider with St John’s Ambulance.

 

And she manages charity projects in her hometown in Jamaica, supporting two pre-schools, for toddlers aged two to six, fundraising for school resources. As Chairman of the schools, she stays in daily contact with the Principals, solving problems and managing staff.  

 

“Education is very important and a lot of poor people cant afford school. I know what a difference education made for me. Even if you’re born into poverty education is your ticket out.

 

“But not everyone is meant to be a doctor or lawyer. We need to train young people in practical skills such as building, plumbing, electrical work, mechanics, cooking, growing food and sewing; the basic needs of life.”

 

Kimona has a big vision to expand her charity work distributing school supplies beyond Jamaica to the “four corners of the world” and is keen to partner with charities in other countries.

 

She believes that partnerships with like-minded, caring people are essential.  “We have a saying in Jamaica: ‘You need two hands to clap’.” 

 

 Out And Proud

 

2020 marks the end of the 10-year period since her conviction in 2010 and the prospect of a fresh start is exhilarating.  

 

Kimona is keen to remove society’s stigma on people with a criminal record. 

She would like to work with prisoners and ex-offenders to encourage and inspire them.

 

“A criminal record can give someone a stigma but I’m living proof you can go on to have a successful life. 

“I want to tell young offenders that just because you've been in the system doesn’t mean you have to stay in it. A criminal record doesn't stop you having your own business. And I want to encourage employers to give jobs to ex-offenders so they will fall back into criminal behaviour.”

 

Kimona believes in openness and honesty and is proud to come out as gay. 

 

“I knew I was gay from a young age. I had a boyfriend as a teenager when being gay was not accepted. But it’s now safe to be openly gay. 

 

“Telling the truth and being authentic is the way to heal past pain. When I came out of prison I was no longer afraid to be myself and own my life story.”

 

And what a redemptive life story it is. Kimona Ward’s dynamic new life has just begun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Merry Gerri Found Her Life’s Purpose

There’s More Than One Type of Success Story. What’s Your Story?

Briony is Devoted to Saving Big Cats from Extinction